Exploring Magnu-Ka Tilla, the Tibetan Quarter

The view from the second floor of the
White House Hotel
18 April 2017
Magnu-Ka Tilla, the Tibetan Quarter, or the Tibetan Refugee Camp in Delhi, as the gated sign announces it, is the location of White House Hotel, my home for 2 (well, 1.5 actually) nights.

Despite the fact that it was established in 1960 and consists of buildings as substantial as one might expect in this part of the world, it is still referred to as a camp, both on the sign and in its official address.  One can only hope that is terminology imposed by the residents, viewing it as temporary, rather than the authorities hoping it might just be transient.

Trip advisor suggests that as an area it’s a much gentler introduction to India than other parts of Delhi.  All I can say is that’s a relief.  It is a community of narrow streets, and while bicycles (with or without trailers) and motorbikes are not completely absent, pedestrians are far more numerous in the areas narrow lanes.
Street view in the Tibetan Quarter


After a cold shower (the water heater was flaking large rusty pieces and I was not sure that it would survive the addition of water and the application of heat) a leisurely couple of cups of coffee (well, black Nescafe brought from home) and a couple of apples from the tree in my garden (I did look for customs officials to ask if I needed to declare them yesterday…) I ventured out to attempt to buy a local SIM card. 

So, I not only need to provide a copy of my passport and a photo but a local contact phone number.  Hmmm .. back to the hotel to check when Tashi might be coming to the hotel, as he is the only person whose phone number I have in Delhi.  The lady on the desk helpfully told me 6pm and why would I buy a SIM in Delhi when it would attract roaming charges when I go to Ladakha and Dharamsala.  Ok, that wasn’t on my radar!



Nearby park - with plenty of prayer flags
This little excursion did attract my first beggar – a small boy indicating he was hungry and requesting a packet of cookies.  Thinking of yesterday’s movie Lion and asking the price, the vendor put a small packet of plain biscuits on the counter and told me 20 rupees.  The small boy tried again with pointing at the (presumably) more expensive and more tasty cookies but got a shake of the head from the vendor.  I’m guessing this little fellow is an experienced con artist.

Asking the lady back at the hotel about beggars, she gave me a definitive NO – don’t give them anything as it simply attracts a bigger swarm and they hang around the hotel door.  
Wildlife in the park

OK.  I did relent with an older man who had no hands – hopefully not a self-imposed deformity as I have read is not uncommon in some countries.  I did attract a bevy of small girls with a baby between them who were attempting to negotiate an exact amount to share between them. 

She also provided me with some guidance for temple offerings – I did have to rephrase the question and ask what she would offer before I got what I considered to be a satisfactory answer – which was around what I would have thought given instruction on the subject from my Bhutanese friends a couple of years ago.

Crazy traffic in the lanes - needs video to appreciate fully
The area is a mass of narrow lanes and narrower alleyways that wind around – sometimes coming to a dead end at someone’s doorway, sometimes leading to the main road, sometimes doubling back to the lanes.  There are shops selling Tibetan handcrafts in abundance, cafes in abundance and vendors of clothing and food everywhere.

The main road that passes provides a cacophony of traffic travelling in no less a hair-raising way than I encountered last night – why would it?  On the other side of the area is a very quiet road bordering some market garden areas – that look way too dry to be producing the greenery that they are, however there is a river running past.  At one end, there is a small park with some shade, no grass, some interesting birds and one small squirrel that looked as if it might have a broken leg.

resisting gorgeous textiles
There are also many men, both in the lanes and in the park, offering their services to clean out my ears… Do I look as if I have a serious earwax problem?  I was assured it was a cheap service, that the cotton buds were clean (the alternative does not bear thinking about) but I managed to decline this enticing offer.

Deciding that brunch was a good idea, the hotel cafĂ© offered momo – which I had to wait some time for as they were being made freshly for me.  Very tasty – had not had momo made by someone else since Bhutan. 



Probably "home sweet home" for someone

Having explored most of the local lanes more than once I asked the hotel receptionist for suggestions and she directed me to a local market on the other side of the road (footbridge available).  Another fascinating area -  this one featured more vehicular traffic than the laneways of the Tibetan quarter – and this did provide rather a hazard to checking out the stalls.  

Included amongst the stalls were a number of tailoring shops – some with signs with correct spelling – some of which had wonderful arrays of tempting textiles.  R300 a metre for a gorgeous pinky-burgandy brocade did take a bit of resisting, but my bag is too heavy for the Dharamsala flight already.  I had thought after last night’s debacle with transport from the airport that maybe a hotel closer to the airport might be a better option for when I return from Dharamsala – but maybe not… I have a 30kg limit on my return to Australia.
 
Street view of the market
Negotiating the outer areas of the Tibetan quarter does involve running the gamut of the 3 wheeler auto taxis - and other forms of transport available for hire.  Fortunately a smile and non verbal decline seemed sufficient to not be hassled.

Feeling absolutely at melting point (today’s forecast was 43oC) I repaired to my room and switched on the aircon for an hour or so recovery.

A quick and delicious dinner of mushroom datsi (it's a Bhutanese dish madam, very spicy - nice of him to warn me, but not actually very spicy at all given the huge lumps of red chilli contained within) a bit of a walk in an atmosphere that still resembles stepping into an overn and back to the hotel to meet Tashi and my taxi driver for 3am.  He is promising to be on time.  I hope so.

Settling my bill (it's not going to be happening at 3am, that's for sure) and on Tashi's recommendation, visiting a money changer - better rates than at the airport, he said - and they were!  We won't mention the rate that was offered me at Melbourne airport (when I told Tashi what that was, he mentioned the words "rip off").  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dinner Time

Domestic Chores & Daily Routines

The Journey Begins