Up, up and away

The western Himalayas from the plane
 19 April 2017

Waking to a 2:30am alarm definitely is not my idea of the perfect start to the day.  My concerns that my driver would not be on time were relieved when he was 10 minutes early (even though I was not yet ready).

The temperature outside is still very warm – though not the oven-like of the previous afternoon.  Dogs have finally decided that continuous barking is not required.




Stok Khangri (6150m) from my hotel room
The drive to the airport did have less traffic and was way faster then the trip from the airport 2 days ago but it still had a sufficient number of hair raising moments.  While police were in evidence everywhere – from driving down the wrong side of the road to road checkpoints at several locations, there was none to match that of Monday night’s journey when we were following a covered ute seeming overloaded with young men with legs sticking out the back.  I noted something one of the half-in-half-out young men was carrying and asked if it were a gun.  My driver affirmed and advised that the men were police militia.  I did not proceed with my query about whether such overloading of vehicles was technically illegal.

More of the Kangri range from my hotel room
I was dropped at the correct terminal and entrance, produced my passport and ticket in order to enter the airport and check in proceeded smoothly, as did security – though I was amused that men and women go through separate security scanners and women receive the once over with the wand in a private, curtained cubicle.

The walk to the gate was sufficient to classify it as my morning exercise and I am well and truly in time – an hour and a half before the flight leaves.  And no apparent free airport wifi, at least, not without a local phone number.




Exploring lanes bordered by rock walls with
Riga. Note the hay on the roof of the house
behind
The view from the plane window while still at the gate was fairly obscured – by pollution haze, and the rising sun had all the appearances of a scary bushfire sunrise.  As we gained altitude, we quickly lost any view of the land, due to pollution.  The pollution level here scares me – as did that in China.  These 2 huge countries with expanding populations are seriously overloading the planet with their emissions.

A short time into the flight we received our cardboard box of refreshments containing something that looked like a coleslaw sandwich – uncooked veg.  Fingers crossed for breaking the food hygiene rules.  At this point, the pollution seemed to clear, and snow clad peaks loomed, range after range, peeking above clouds.  Soon the clouds cleared and we were treated to picture box perfect panoramic views of the eastern Himalayas.  I was looking into the sun through a rather dirty window, but it did not lessen my enjoyment of this stunning vista – with not only the mountain peaks but also the glaciers.

As we approached Leh, I was aware that the other side of the plane also had looming snow-clad peaks – even closer.  It would have to be one of the most scenic flights I have ever taken.
Row of 3 stupas in a "house" traditionally at the entrance
to a village.

As we reduced altitude, there were more areas clear of snow – brown and dry with what looks like scree rivers down valleys – possible evidence of glacier melt in some cases, maybe?



As we landed, the view was dominated by one particular peak, but a man with a gun discouraged me from taking photos just outside the plane.  The temperature on arrival: 6oC.  A little different to yesterday’s 43 oC.

The welcoming message at the airport was from the Ladakha health authorities warning of the symptoms of altitude sickness and advising complete rest for 24-36 hours.  A whole new place to be explored and I am supposed to sit with my feet up for a whole day!

My welcome committee outside the airport was present and prominent, and my guide Riga took my bag and directed me to wait until driver Bublu appeared with vehicle.

Rock paintings
A drive through some interesting roads brought us to my hotel – home for the next 2 nights.  My room is a little more upmarket than that in Delhi – and has a balcony with a view to die for.  The highest peak, Stok Khangri (6150m) and the rest of the Khangri range dominates my view in one direction, through a row of bare willow trees.  Through another window I can see the back of the palace, through strings of prayer flags that adorn the adjacent building’s roof.  The room may be a little more upmarket, and sports pillow cases and a bottom sheet, but not a top sheet to go between me and the blanket.  My guide, Riga, subsequently requested one for me after I had remarked upon this.
 
Leh Palace - in the past each village had its royal family

 Black tea was brought to me and I inquired about food, and was told to wait 10 minutes while the hotel boy went to the market.  10 minutes later a plate of chopped fruit materializes.  I guess food and fruit sound similar to those with only a little English.  The fruit was apple (nowhere near as good as the golden delicious on my tree) and tinned fruit salad.  He had obviously gone out of his way to procure this for me, so for the second time today I broke the food hygiene rules.


I asked about breakfast – I think his English was not good enough to understand much, he suggested toast with jam and butter – I accepted.  It was fairly ordinary.

The old quarter with its houses with tiny windows
(and a new house on top)
My inquiries about wifi suggest difficulties – something to do with the politics of being administered from Kashmir and the cable having been cut.  It may be some time before this gets uploaded.  I have already detected hints of unrest about the mixed ethnic/religious balance in this area.  It seems not everyone is getting an equal deal!

A stream of buses – all with horns to toot, passes my balcony, many loaded with school students in uniform – some sensibly wearing warm hats.  While it is getting warmer in summer, with more snow and glacier melt causing problems, it’s still remarkably cool here.

I order lunch – momo (do we have a theme happening here) and it comes with ketchup and a coconut sauce.  The latter was a delicious, albeit unusual, complement to the momo.  I am told that coconut is a South Indian addition to food  (that makes sense) – who first thought to put it with momo?

Narrow (and very low - "mind your head!")
laneway in the old quarter


At 2pm, Riga appears to check on my health status and since I reported no headaches he decreed I could go for a walk – EXCELLENT!   So we visited Leh’s oldest monastery, Sankar Gompa.  I was introduced to the names of several statues, most of which I promptly forgot, and we visited many different rooms and the upper floor – which is apparently rarely open to visitors.  A photographic tribute to the life of Kushok Bakula Rinpoche occupied the central space.  This remarkable man was both a monk and a political leader and was instrumental in reestablishing Buddhist monasteries in Mongolia and other places where Buddhism had been repressed.

Walking down narrow laneways, bordered by stone walls, some of which were topped by drying cow dung – still used for heating and cooking – provided some lovely framing for some of the views of the mountain ranges and also some of the houses which have hay stacked on their roofs to provide feed for the animals until spring provides growth and sustenance.

Sacred carvings - 2 millenia old
During our walk Riga bemoaned the replacement of the several small villages that used to comprise the area and the proliferation of hotels and guest houses.  At least there don’t seem to be any international chains springing up, yet.

We proceeded down to some of the ancient stupas and admired some even more ancient rock paintings and carvings, including one that is estimated at a couple of thousand years old. 

The town also has a catholic church and several mosques – for different sects including Sunni and the Jain and …..

We visited Leh’s main Buddhist temple, with some very precious and some very sacred statues.

We wandered through parts of the old town, with its houses with miniscule windows and I was rather intrigued by the building of one upon another -  a practice that still appears to be continuing.
Zho

This was followed by a walk through the market, with more modern shops, many of which are owned by Kashmiri people, along with local people selling both fresh vegetables and dried fruit – some of which is locally produced. 

On the way back to the hotel I met my first zho – your father was a yak and your mother was an ox (reminds me of insults from a Monty Python movie)

Minor issue with water supply to my bathroom: non existent.  Assorted efforts to restore on behalf of staff were unsuccessful and it was suggested I should move to an adjacent room – I enquired about my mountain view, and was shown the view – almost as good.  However there was a bit of a mess on the carpet which needed to be cleaned up first.  As I was about to be moved into the room, I noticed that the mess had come from disintegrating plaster on the ceiling – which seemed to have been the result of dampness.  I suggested that this was not the best for my ongoing health and after renegotiating the “it is ok now” response was shown an alternate room with a much more obscured view and a promise that the next day I could go back to the other room.   A few minutes later the story was that the plumber is coming and I could go back to my other room in half an hour.  However the story reverted after I had eaten my dinner.  In the meantime I had noticed similarly disintegrating patches of ceiling plaster in current room – not quite as bad though. 

Very ready for sleep after dinner – even though the mattress is thoroughly unforgiving I managed a couple of good long stints.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dinner Time

Domestic Chores & Daily Routines

The Journey Begins