A local walk

Iku Khad River - the one that runs
down the valley near the school
25th June

Normally my Sunday’s are dedicated to washing, cleaning my room and the teachers’ office, lesson preparation and reading, but given that I’d done a fair bit of the domestic chores on Friday and Saturday, and Sunday breakfast was not too late, I decided to visit Gyuto Monastery just up the road (well, up to the main road and a couple of kilometers along it).


It was well into the “stay under a tree” time of day, so I wandered slowly under the shade of my umbrella.  Humidity was extremely high, as was the temperature.  There is a small art gallery, the Naam gallery, on the way to the monastery, which I decided to include in my excursion.

The walk along the main road was, of course, hair raising, though the beginning was relatively stress free – there was a traffic jam, so I did not have to contend with vehicles attempting to pass me with only a hair’s breadth to spare.

Iku Khad River -
upstream from the main road
The main road did take me across the bridge that crosses the river that runs down the valley beside the school.  I have yet to walk down to the river, which looks beautiful, and when asking Wangchuk about the best path down to the river, he seriously discouraged me – apparently much of the local population regards the river bank as an open air toilet….

Anyway, a close up of the river from the bridge confirms it is beautiful, and I manage some photos that do not include the dumping of rubbish from the roadside onto the riverbank.  I can see that the current prime  minister’s wish to clean up his country is a big undertaking!  (along with his making begging illegal – even here it was present!)

Along the road is a rather incongruous clock tower.  Inaugurated only a few days previously.  It looks completely out of place amongst the scruffy buildings and untidy roadside.  Beside it sits a gate, with plaques attributing, in very flowery language, to the bravery of a local young man who came across a group of insurgents hiding in a shed somewhere north of here.

The rather incongruous
Dharamsala Clock Tower
Gyuto Monastery
















I was getting rather low on rupees, so kept half an eye out for a money changer, not with any great expectations, but did find a place which offered such services, along with the ability to book bus and airplane tickets and internet access – the latter being taken advantage of by a couple of monks in their maroon robes.  I still find it faintly amusing to find monks engaging in such worldly pursuits  - and can remember my first very surprised reactions to monks with mobile phones in Vietnam.

Gyuto Monastery
I had done some mental calculations about the benefits of changing some of the US dollars I was carrying versus an ATM withdrawal, and decided I could be a little flexible with the exchange rate.  I was quite pleased to be offered 64 as the exchange rate, with only 100 rupees as commission (though when I changed money in the Tibetan sector in Delhi, there was no commission)

Relatively cashed up, I proceeded to the monastery, and enjoyed the neat layout of the monks’ quarters, the flower gardens lining the central walkway and the temple beautifully decorated inside with Thanka hung high around the main hall, and one enormous, particularly stunning, Thanka to one side.
Inside Gyuto Monastery

This monastery is one built as a “replacement” for its namesake in eastern Tibet, which was built in the mid 15th century, and is the official residence of the Karmapa, one of the highest lamas in Tibetan Buddhism.

Gyuto monastery grounds
After visiting the main temple, I paused outside to listen to a chanting of prayer with drum accompaniment eminating from a small room adjactent to the main temple.  Not wanting to be intrusive, I stayed back from the doorway. As I returned to the front of the temple, there was the obligatory request from an Indian family to be part of their family photo.  No excursion would be complete without such a request.

I felt rather hungry by then, and the monastery café specialized in the Tibetan food that students prepare at school, rejected my request for a ginger – lemon –honey drink (maybe because it was on the breakfast menu) but their shop did have Nescafe in slightly larger jars than the 25g at the general store at Fatiphur. 

As I headed back towards the main road, I spotted another café sign, so went to investigate.  The proprietor asked if he could tell me what he had -  assuring me that it was all veg, and I selected puri with mixed vegetable – at the incredible cost of 50 rupees.  While the puri were clearly freshly cooked, the vegetables were VERY well cooked, clearly not freshly prepared.  I crossed my fingers that all would be OK – less risk with vegetables than with meat, which is why I am on a vegetarian diet for 3 months!

A not gourmet, but incredibly cheap, lunch
I declined the drink options, not wanting tea or coffee and definitely not willing to risk a cold water and ice based drink without knowing the source of the water.

The owner opens the inside café and turns on the fan for me, which is somewhat more comfortable than the outside environment.

I renegotiate the road back to the Naam art gallery (which has an entrance fee of 10 rupees – not exactly extortionate!!) – a small gallery displaying a few oil paintings of an English painter – all quite dark and seemingly somber in nature, and rather more watercolours and acrylics by a German painter.  Her acrylics tend towards the impressionist / abstract (for all I know about art) inspired by her meditations and crossing a variety of faiths.  Her watercolours are varied, with scenes of Himachel Pradesh, flowers, birds and butterflies and the odd water scene with boats.  I quite like some of her mountain scenery paintings.
Sunflowers in the monastery grounds



Once off the main road I watch out for the lychee trees that T Deki had told me were there, and eventually I see them – I had never seen the fruit growing before, and there is quite an orchard not far from the school.  I must try to purchase some more of these rather delicious morsels before the season finishes.

By the time I get back to school I feel as if I am melting.  The students are eating lunch – a mixture of bread from the night before and steamed dough dumplings, which are incredibly heavy.  I thank them but decline to partipate in this repast and go to run half a bucket of water to bathe and cool myself down and rinse out my not particularly dirty but rather saturated clothes.


In the monastery grounds
Given that the students were eating lunch at around 3pm, the chances of anyone cooking dinner for the normal time of 7pm are small.  I had purchased mushrooms on my way back to school, but don’t really want to spend any time in the kitchen cooking – it is too hot and too many mosquitoes and the floor is once more awash with water and very slippery from where a rodent had knocked over the oil jug, so wash my mushrooms, grab a tomato from the fridge, pour boiling water from my kettle over both to ensure a degree of removal of nasty bugs and call it dinner!


Lychees growing

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dinner Time

Domestic Chores & Daily Routines

The Journey Begins